Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tricky Toddler Snack


“I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted “baby food.” - Robert Orben

    Anybody that has been around a toddler for any period of time knows how difficult it can be to get them to eat anything that doesn't come in a box or bag with a cartoon character on the front. Lily used to be the exception... enter the terrible twos... If it isn't cheetos, oreos, or anything else trademarked and ending in "os" she isn't having it. That's the reason I was so excited to find this fantastic and healthy snack idea in the September issue of "Family Fun" magazine. 

 How cute are these?!?
    This was Lily and I's finished product. 

Here's the how-to:

Ingredients:
-Mini Rice Cakes
-Plain Cream Cheese (I used whipped for the light texture)
-Blue Food Color
-Goldfish Snack Crackers
-Assorted Veggies for decoration (I used bell pepper because it was what I had at home but any combination of small veggies would work such as broccoli, celery, carrot sticks...)

1. Tint a small amount of cream cheese with blue food color to desired color.
2. Spread small amount of tinted cream cheese on mini rice cake making "waves-like" patterns.
3. Cut veggies into aquatic shapes. (I cut the green bell peppers to resemble sea grass.)
4. Let your kids have fun and decorate the snack themselves by adding goldfish and veggies.
 ENJOY!

    I have found that when I let Lily help in the preparation of a food that she is more likely to eat what we make. She feels accomplished because she made it herself and she feels more comfortable eating because she knows what is in it.  As I navigate these toddler years I hope to share more fun ideas that I find, and please, share any that you find with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment